I’m slightly nervous even calling this dish Pasta Carbonara… It is very heavily modified and I’m afraid the real Italian Foodies will eat me alive calling it that. Let me put it this way, the only connection to Pasta Carbonara is the fact that I was thinking about Pasta Carbonara when I came up with this. And since I have no idea what else to call it, let’s just say it’s a Heavily Modified Pasta Carbonara by Little Messers’ House.
There’s something else I need to mention before we get to the real business. I wasn’t even going to make this into a blog post, but it was just sooooo delish (even if I say so myself!) that I thought it would be a crime not to share it. But because it wasn’t going to be featured here at all, unfortunately it means I don’t have any proper pictures of the whole process!
This dish is super easy to make, I had the kiddies helping me and it took about all of 20 minutes to put together. It wouldn’t feature at the top of Dinners for Weight Loss -list, but it does have quite a bit of veggies in it so at least the kiddies got some of their 5 a day! So, without further ado…
What to put in:
- 1 Onion (medium size)
- A big handful of Broccoli florets
- Half a Courgette
- 4-5 Mushrooms (medium size)
- 200g Pancetta
- 100g Ricotta cheese
- 250ml Cream
- 1 tbsp Tomato puree or sun-dried tomato pesto
- Pasta of your choice
How to cook it:
- Start off with the pasta as that takes the longest! Cook according to instructions.
- While the pasta is cooking, chop and dice the veggies.
- Cook the veggies in a frying pan in a small bit of olive oil for about 5mins, or until tender.
- Add in the Pancetta and cook for another 1-2 minutes.
- Mix in the Ricotta Cheese, Cream, and Tomato Puree/Sun-dried Tomato Pesto
- Mix it all together and let it bubble on the hob for a couple of minutes. Once the pasta is cooked and drained, mix the pasta and the sauce in the saucepan.
- Serve with some salad and enjoy!
Please note that the measurements are thereabouts, I never really measure anything unless I’m baking something I haven’t baked before! You can also add whatever veggies you have at home, change the Pancetta to chicken, and generally play around with the different ingredients and measurements…
So if you’re stuck for dinner ideas tonight, this comes highly recommended by the Little Messers 🙂